Today we have the fourth and final part of our English Grammar Tense Cheat Sheets. Be sure to bookmark this page. Scroll to the bottom for questions to practise. Ready, steady, let’s go!
Zero conditional – When do we use it?
- facts and rules of nature. If you fail this exam, you fail college.
First conditional – When do we use it?
- real future possibilities. If it’s hot tomorrow, they’ll go to the seaside
Second conditional – When do we use it?
- imaginary present or future situations. He would write a book, if he had more time.
Third conditional – When do we use it?
- imaginary past situations. If they’d gotten up earlier, they would have had more time to get ready for their guests.
Conditionals Cheat Sheet
Intrepid English Study Tip: Where should I study? Sometimes it’s a good idea to change your study environment. Different atmospheres can give you positive differences in your motivation, concentration or mood. Try studying outside at the park. You could even bring a picnic! Or maybe on a bus or train – but keep an eye on your stop!
- Do you know any interesting facts about animals? (zero conditional)
- What are you some facts about your home country? (zero conditional)
- What will you watch, if you want to relax? (first conditional)
- If you get a part-time job, how will you spend your free time? (first conditional)
- If you won the lottery, what would you do? (second conditional)
- What would you do if someone stole your car? (second conditional)
- How would your life be different if you had/hadn’t gone to university? (third conditional)
- What would have been different about your life, if you had grown up in an English speaking country? (third conditional)
Please leave your answers in the comments below.
Visit my Intrepid English Teacher profile page to find out more about me and add me as a friend! Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this blog, you’d love our ‘All Things Grammar’ Community. Come along and join in!
This blog was written and recorded by Intrepid English teacher, Jen.
Find out more about Jen by visiting her Intrepid English Teacher profile page.
Book a free trial lesson today and talk about your learning goals with an experienced and friendly English teacher. Say goodbye to boring English lessons! The Intrepid English Academy has been designed to make it as clear and easy as possible for you to make progress in English.
All new members will receive a free one-to-one lesson with your chosen English teacher to discuss your learning needs. You will then be given a personalised Success Path with recommended courses to work on the areas of English that you most need to master.