Intrepid English Forums General Discussion Best English Learning Tip?

Tagged: 

2 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Gemma McLean 1 month, 1 week ago
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Rogers
    @Jen

The most asked question from all our students is without a doubt – “What’s the best way to study English?”

I think there is always a secret hope that the answer will be an easy and immediate shortcut to English learning success. If only!

So – teachers and students – we want to know your #learningtips.

What’s been the secret to your success? Don’t be shy.

Lorraine
    Keymaster
    @lorraine

Hi everyone,

Great question, Jen! I would say that one great tip I have for learning vocabulary is to write the new words and phrases down on a flashcard.

But, that’s not all. I write as much information as I can about that word, including its verb and noun forms, any collocations or prepositions that go with the word, and some example sentences containing the word.

It might seem like a very long-winded process, but I think its more effective than just writing the translation. You learn a lot about the words and how it’s used.

Of course, it’s also important to review your flashcards regularly so that you don’t forget these new words and phrases.

Also, make sure you use your newly learned vocabulary as much as possible in conversation.

If anyone would like more information on this technique, please let me know. I’d be happy to help you to start your flashcard collection!

Lorraine

Gemma McLean
    Participant
    @Gemma

That’s such a great question, Jen! Lots of students ask this and it’s tough to answer because everyone is different and we all learn in different ways.

I repeat what Lorraine has already said: Flashcards. When you learn a new word or phrase, write it on a flashcard and practise, practise, practise. If I learn a new phrase, I like to challenge myself to use it in a conversation with someone that day. Not only does it help me to remember the phrase, I also feel fantastic knowing that I’ve learned something new and used it.

Something else I like to do is watch a TV show in the language I want to learn. It’s great for listening practice and I’ve learned lots of new words this way. It’s best if you can find a TV show with subtitles. That way, if you hear a word that you don’t recognise, you can see how it is spelled find it in a dictionary. When you feel more confident, you can turn the subtitles off and feel fantastic about yourself when you can understand what’s happening just by using your listening skills.
    Also, make sure that the TV show you’re watching is one that you enjoy! Then your learning will be more fun, and it won’t feel like studying at all 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.